Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Wire - some of the best TV I have ever seen

I have to admit that I have been late discovering this American TV show. I first heard of the Wire in an interview with some American rock star on the back page of the NME. I can't remember exactly who the rock star was but he was either in a good band or he listened to some music I like so I trusted his opinion. He said that 'season 3 of the wire was the best TV show that he had ever seen'. That sparked my interest.

I had never heard of The wire.

I looked it up on wikipaedia and it sounded good. I didn't want to pay too much for the DVD so I ordered it over some dodgy bastard on ebay who took 2 months to post me my box set (direct from amazon - cheeky cunt).

I didn't watch it straight away. My initial buzz of interest had died down. I was on annual leave last week, just bumming around, and I started to watch it on Sunday. It's fucking brilliant.

The series is set in Baltimore. It revolves around the police investigation of some drug dealers in a ghetto. I know that sounds pretty boring but the series is as good as the Sopranos. The plot is unpredictable with more twists and turns than any rollercoaster. The camera work is mainly from a single camera bringing the viewer into the action. The only music in the series is from boom boxes and car radios making the viewing experience more realistic. It's great.

The series was written by a former baltimore police officer and a journalist. Many of the plot elements are based on their real experiences. This is grim and gritty television but it's possibly as addictive as the cheap heroin sold by the drug dealers on the show.

check it out

funky

No comments: