Monday, April 02, 2007

Fulborn Teversham - live at the 13th note, glasgow

Third time lucky I hope. The internet ate my last two attempts at this post.

I was lucky to hear about this gig. It was low key with very little advertising. I only found out about it in a mailing list email from the 13th note/miso club.

Fulborn Teversham are another spin-off band from the Acoustic Ladyland/Polar Bear collective revolving around Seb Roachford and Pete Wareham. They are a bit more low-fi with a more punky/Slits style soul guided by the vocals of Alice Grant.

This was a value for money night. Our tickets only cost us £4 each to see a 3 band bill. The first group was Quack Quack an instumental act from Leeds. They were pretty rocking in a keyboard way. They reminded me of Neu or Can with a heavier sound. My friend and I were both so impressed with the show that we parted with six quid each for a copy of their CD. Sadly it was a bit weedy with a thin sound that did not match their live meety goodness. They need a dose of Steve Albini.

Fulborn Teversham themselves were great. I bought their CD off the Pickled Egg website a few weeks ago and I've listened to it a few times. It isn't as punchy as Skinny Grin or Last Chance Disco by Acoustic Ladyland but it's still rather good. I love Alice Grant's vocals. I even made a half-assed attempt to chat her up at the end of their set. I felt dirty. I am a groupie.

The set kicked ass. The band sounded much better live than on CD. We were standing about a metre away from Wareham as he played sax and it was stunning. Great set of lungs. Roachford is an amazing drummer. The crowd was screaming for more as the band were forced to play a truncated set due to the show starting late and a curfew.

Pit et Pat had the thankless task of closing the night. The 3 piece from Chicago had some interesting sounds and some OK songs but they just did not hold my attention like the other two bands.

Acoustic Ladyland are meant to be playing somewhere this month. See them if you can but I have a bad feeling I'm on nights.

For more check out
www.myspace.com/fulbornteversham
www.polarbearmusic.com/html/Fulborn%20Teversham.html

funky

No comments: