Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Doctors as terrorists

It would appear that the fuckwits that tried to blow up Glasgow Airport and kill lots of innocent children were doctors. Pretty sad.

I'm a doctor. I decided to become a doctor when I was 21 which is a bit older than most people. I never wanted to be a doctor when I was a child. I decided that I wanted to be doctor because I wanted to help people and relieve suffering. I expect that most doctors have similar motivations.

So what the hell happened with these assholes? Eight people have been arrested. All have medical connections according to the BBC website. Two of these people are terrorists - driving a car filled with explosive material into an airport in front of hundreds of people means you are a terrorist. The other six could be innocent. Time will tell.

What would turn a doctor into a terrorist? Is it due to extreme religious views? Was the stress of the competitive job market the final straw? Was it the feeling of being lost in a foreign culture? Hopefully we will find out.

Doctors are just people. Doctors are weak, stupid and petty. Doctors make mistakes. Doctors fuck up. Most of us try hard to help people but it just takes a few bad apples to spoil things for everyone.

One of my colleagues said to me today that she did not want to talk about the Glasgow Airport incident because it made doctors sound bad. At the end of the day, when I walked down Great Western Road today, nobody could tell that I am a doctor just by looking at me. Life is probably more difficult for people of middle-eastern/south asian origin at the moment. Idiots will always pick on people who look different.

These terrorist fuckwits have made the world a bit worse. I am sad that they were doctors but I think that their betrayal of humanity is greater than their betrayal of medicine.

No comments: