Sunday, July 01, 2007

Terrorist attack on Glasgow Airport

Glasgow Airport is a core part of my psychic geography. I grew up flying in and out of Glasgow airport for holidays in spain with my parents. We used to pick my dad up at the airport when he had been abroad for work stuff. My parents are meant to be flying out to Spain from Glasgow next weekend,

You may understand that I am pissed off and upset that some crazy fuckers tried to kill hundreds of people there today. Two lunatics drove a car full of explosives into the front of the airport. Luckily nobody died. Luckily the nutjobs were caught. The public and the police were very brave.

One of these assholes is currently being interogated by the police. The other is in hospital covered in burns. He is probably in a lot of pain. He will probably die unless he is very lucky.

These men will not find paradise in death. No just god would reward them for trying to murder innocent children (many young families would be flying out on holiday today as this is the first weekend of the Scottish school holidays). If there is such a thing as hell these idiots will burn.

The attack appears to be linked to the attempted bombing in London last night. More crazy murderers are on the streets of Britain right now. I expect that some innocent people will be murdered before they are caught.

These attacks have more of an impact than the isolated physical assault. They create divisions between groups of people. They push us apart when we should be trying to come together. They make humanity worse and they make peace more difficult. It must be difficult to be a muslim in Glasgow tonight. The muslim community will be blamed for the actions of a few weirdos. It's a shame.

I was in Glasgow city centre shopping at 3:15pm today totally oblivious to events at the airport. I recorded some more music with my mate before I got home and saw the news.

I was saddened but I was not surprised.

I love Glasgow. It is my city. I love Scotland. It is my country. I understand why these nutjobs want to attack us but that does not give them a free pass. We need to catch these criminals but we also need to work against the warped ideas that lead to these attacks. We also need to work hard to stabilise the middle east and try and remove the motivation for these attacks.

Rant over.

1 comment:

zoe said...

as an aside, thank goodness you're ok.
x