Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Boris live at Glasgow Nice 'n' Sleazy

This gig was full of hipster arseholes and haircuts.

I myself am a dabbler. I had never heard of Boris until my friend texted me to ask if I wanted a ticket to see them. They are a noise rock band from Japan who have taken their name from a Melvins song. They have recently collaberated with another noted noise rock band SUNN(()). I don't know if I have ever heard SUNN(()) either.

For some reason the trendy fuckers of Glasgow have gone mad for Boris. The cramped basement of Sleazy's was sold out and jammed with stupid haircuts. Some of these people had to be Boris fans but I think that some were just there to be seen. I think some of them were taken by surprise.

I had a vague idea of what would occur when my drone rock/grindcore mad friend told me that this show would be 'very loud'. I had a more concrete idea of the situation when he pulled out a box of ear plugs before Boris went on stage and handed me a pair. That was kind of him.

The show was very loud. Bits of the music were very beautiful. It went from slow, quiet instrumental pieces to loud, fast metal to nuclear meltdown noise drones. I never saw my bloody valentine live although I would imagine that the noise segment of 'you made me realise' was similar to parts of this show.

Sometimes, extremely loud droning noises can have a really relaxing effect on you. Music can at times be so loud that you experience it as a physical force, almost like a sonic massage. The end of the Boris set tonight was like that. I think I was able to enjoy it without going deaf because of my ear plugs. I'm reminded of the episode of South Park where the kids search for the 'brown noise', the mythical tone that will make anyone who hears it shit themselves. I used to play bass in a band and sometimes when we were bored we would search for the brown noise, turning off the lights and turning our instruments up as loud as possible while playing one repetitive riff. Sometimes we would turn on a strobe light to make everything seem more freaky. It was good fun. One day the owner of the studio told me that we were so loud that we sent ripples through the ceiling of the room below. I am proud of that.

I like Boris.

1 comment:

drphunk said...

by the way, are you justin currie out of del amitri? you really remind me of him