Friday, June 22, 2007

Wimbeldon Green - the greatest comic book collector in the world. A story from the sketchbook of the cartoonist "Seth"

This is a great comic book about wasted lives and strange men. I liked the other book by Seth that I bought last week so I ordered this one from amazon as it had good reviews. I was well impressed.

The book is a bit like one of those 'talking heads' style documentaries you see about the Beatles or something from the sixties. The tale of Wimbledon Green, the mysterious alpha-male of the collector world is told through a series of monologues from his rivals. There is little in the way of hard facts regarding Green and we are faced with many unreliable narrators (one of my favourite literary techniques).

The story is pretty sad. It shines a light on the autistic spectrum style male collecting behaviour that is characteristic to nerds worldwide. As a fan of both comic books and obscure noisy music this does hit me a bit close to home (although I do like women too). The characters are well drawn and the depth of the loneliness of Green is hinted at in some of the sections.

Seth claims that this book was just a case of him 'knocking one out' for fun. He says that it is badly drawn and poorly executed. I think it's fucking good and I urge you to give it a shot.

I'm gonna try and spend less time in Forbidden Planet (or on the internet) and more time talking to women. This book is scary.

No comments: