Saturday, June 16, 2007

Megadeth live at the Glasgow Barrowlands.

Have you seen Jurassic Park? This gig was like a mosquitto, trapped in amber a million years ago. Megadeth have not changed in any way that I have noticed since I first heard them in 1987/88. I don't really like them much now. I never really did.

So, why did I go and see them? One of my friends had a spare ticket and asked if I wanted it. I had nothing else to do on a wet Glasgow Tuesday in June so I went. It gave me a chance to go to the Barrowlands which is one of my favourite music venues. It continues to be a total dive as always.

I do not own any Megadeth albums. I think I have one of their 7" singles somewhere. I do like their first album 'killing is my business .......and business is good' because of the Nancy Sinatra cover 'these boots are made for walking' and Mechanix, the original version of Metallica's 'the four horsemen'.

I do think that most of their stuff is pish. In my subjective opinion tonights show did not prove me wrong.

Megadeth are competent. They can play their songs. They can play fast. They can walk around while playing. Dave Mustaine can't sing too well. All of the songs have the same sort of structure and tempo to my uneducated ears.

The set was OK. They played Mechanix, Peace sells.... and Symphony of destruction. I didn't recognise the rest.

I like some bands like Megadeth. Classic period Metallica (the first four or five albums), Anthrax and Slayer were all better thrash bands. I like heavy bands like Neurosis and Graveyard Rodeo. I like loads of hardcore punk. Megadeth are just dull.

The crowd at this show was odd. Loads of '80s style metal heads. I guess they do still exist and I don't go to the places where they lurk. I had long hair but it was never that long. The crowd was in a scary, fucked up time-warp.

So it was OK for a wet Tuesday night in Glasgow when I had fuck all else to do.

phunk

No comments: