Tuesday, July 31, 2007

thrill power overload by David Bishop

I read this history of 30 years of the 2000AD comic a couple of weeks ago. I've just been inspired to write about it by the Judge Dredd film that I'm watching on DVD as I type. 2000AD, the self-styled 'galaxys greatest comic' is a British institution, as is it's most famous character, Judge Dredd. Most vaguely nerdy guys of around my age or slightly older are aware of it. Pop-culture has been infiltrated by several of it's strips.

I grew up reading comics becuase my dad used me as an excuse to but war comics and Asterix books when I was a kid. Some of the older boys that lived up the street from me used to give me there piles of old 2000ADs when I was 7 or 8 and I managed to read most of the big stories. I bought the reprint editions myself years later.

The interesting thing about this book is the revelation that 2000AD was nearly cancelled several times. It is also sad to hear about how badly some of the creative staff were treated and amusing to hear early artists dismissed as 'just shit'. Pat Mills sounds like an aggressive nightmare but he is still an excellent writer.

I loved this book and I recommend it to all the nerds out there

zarjazz

drphunk

No comments: