Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The end of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas

As always I have used my holidays to catch up on some recreational reading. I bought 'the end of Mr Y' after reading an article in SFX on science fiction in mainstream modern literature. I have not read any other books by Scarlett Thomas although I may check some out.

The story revolves around Ariel, a PhD student who is writing a thesis on 'thought experiments' and the work of Thomas Lumas, a nineteenth century writer. Lumas had an unfortunate life and was the author of a lost novel, 'the end of Mr Y' which is said to be cursed.

As one would expect Ariel finds a copy of the lost novel and is drawn into the curse.

The book is well written and it contains some interesting ideas. It has some 'hard' science stuff as well as fantasy but it isn't boring. I read it in one sitting. You might like it.

drphunk

link -
http://www.harcourtbooks.com/TheEndOfMrY/main.asp

No comments: