Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dum Dum Girls and MGMT live at the Glasgow Barrowlands

I was probably more interested in Dum Dum Girls when I bought the tickets to this show a few months ago. A very sensible lady suggested that I should listen to their album and it has found a place in my heart. Dum Dum Girls play a sort of fuzzy punk pop with hints of the Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine. Their record is very good indeed.

Live they managed to pull it off although they don't have the dreamy-fuzz polish of the album. The vocal harmonies were great and the band were tight. The lead singers voice held for most of the set but she did sound like she had a sore throat towards the end of it. My misogynist mate Chris said that they looked good too.

The average age of the crowd was about 15 or 16 meaning that I could probably be everyones dad. There was also a bunch of spectacularly drunk women dancing energetically in front of us. One of them fell into me and tried to grab my junk to steady herself on the way down. Thankfully my junk was not injured but it was a close call. As a doctor I would like to advise the general public of Glasgow to use alcohol responsibly because grabbing the junk of a stranger may cause offence in the wrong social situation.

MGMT? The big hits sounded great. Some of the quieter psychedelic stuff was nice and there was a good krautrock bit. The band looked like they were floating around Mars. The keyboard player (who looked a bit like Jesus) seemed to be trapped in a k-hole.

Dum Dum Girls - A
MGMT - B

No comments: