Monday, December 13, 2010

Old memories

I just found the younger brother of an old friend on facebook. The friend died in a tragic accident 12 years ago. He was only 21 when he died. His brother must have been about 6 years younger.

My friend who died was an art student. He studied fine art photography at a famous art school. He was also a musician. He sang in a band. The thing I remember most about him was his energy. He was always doing things, planning things and he would get things done, often through sheer force of will power. He was really alive.

I knew him for about 5 years. I met him through other friends and we hung about in a group. We had common interests in in loud music, alternative culture, comic books and films. We didn't always get on. He sometimes thought that I was an arrogant bastard and that I thought I was smarter than everyone else. I was always a smart arse but I did always value my friends.

He always stood up for his friends. He had a short fuse but he was very loyal and I can remember at least one fist fight he had when he was standing up for friends. He was a good bloke.

When he died in a stupid, stupid accident it really altered my world. I came to realise that life is short, that you only get one shot and that you shouldn't waste it. To see someone with so much energy and so much life just ending after a stupid accident was terrible. The impact on his friends and family was immense.

When I finally got over the shock I got my life together. I decided to stop bumming about and do the best that I could with my life. I decided that I wanted to help other people and do something worthwhile. I worked hard and I went to medical school and I've been a doctor for six years now. I don't know if I would have taken this path without that horrible shock. I sort of thought that if I was ever in that situation again I might be able to do something useful and save a life. Now I don't know that anything could be done in those circumstances.

His younger brother has put a lot of my friends photographs on facebook. Old pictures from art school. I have a few more in an album somewhere that I'll try and copy and give to him.

Life sucks sometimes.

RIP ER

No comments: