Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Alistair McGowan at the Perth Concert Hall

Alistair McGowan is not someone I would normally go and see perform. I went along tonight because there is little to do in Dundee and I fancied a bit of a change. I wasn't really sure what to expect from his live shows. I've seen a few of his TV shows which are OK but nothing amazing.

The Perth Concert Hall is a nice venue. It's been built recently and it is well designed with good views of the stage. The audience were all very posh and well dressed. I was wearing dirty jeans, dirty converse and a Descendents t-shirt. I felt slightly out of place.

I wasn't sure what to expect from McGowan. He is famous for his impressions but he is actually a fairly competent stand-up comedian. His stand-up does revolve around accurate impressions of others but it is also well observed and very slick. He can change persona seemlessly without missing a beat.

He was pretty funny but I think he tries to keep his politics/environmental beliefs out of his comedy. He is one of the most professional comedians I have seen live. He is very popular and he seems to appeal to a more mainstream audience. It would be interesting to see him really kick-back and let out some more cutting stuff. I think he would be really good doing stuff that is closer to the bone.

Interesting.

No comments: