Monday, May 16, 2011

Upside Down - the Creation Records Story - DVD review

I grew up in East Kilbride and the Jesus and Mary Chain always seemed to be massive to me. I must have been about 7 or 8 when they started to release records. I remember seeing piles of Mary Chain records in the local shops.

It was only later on that I got into Creation in a bigger way. I fell in love with Screamadelica initially. Then I heard Loveless which is another brilliant record. I was also lucky enough to see Oasis play in the old Cathouse on John Street in Glasgow just as they released their first single. I also love records by Ride, Teenage Fanclube and Sugar.

Some of the more obscure stuff that came out on Creation was great too. The Loft single 'up the hill and down the slope' was brilliant. They also put out great stuff by Felt, The Pastels, House of Love and the Super Furry Animals.

The documentary is great. Lots of thick Glasweigan accents as Alan McGee and Bobby Gillespie tell their tale supported by Jim Reid and Noel Gallagher among other. Much of the success of the label appears to have been driven by the personality and drug related insanity of McGee. It does look like they had great fun for a fair bit of time and they nurtured some brilliant music.

On a personal level I enjoyed the old footage of East Kilbride and Glasgow but if you love good music this is a documentary for you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you like to hear more about Creation Records and the Upside Down movie, MusicFilmWeb has a podcast with Director Danny O’Connor. Listen here…

http://www.musicfilmweb.com/2011/04/upside-down-creation-records-documentary/

Unknown said...

If you like to hear more about Creation Records and the Upside Down movie, MusicFilmWeb has a podcast with Director Danny O’Connor. Listen here…

http://www.musicfilmweb.com/2011/04/upside-down-creation-records-documentary/