Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Richard Herring - Christ on a bike - the second coming at the Whitehall Theatre in Dundee

I only learned about this show last week via Twitter. I've seen some Richard Herring stuff in the past and I like his BBC radio show whenever I hear it. I'm obviously a big fan of Stewart Lee too.

Apparently some fuckwit in Dundee was protesting about the offensive nature of this show but I didn't manage to see any of this media coverage. I hadn't seen many adverts for the show around Dundee although I don't really spend too much time in the city. Apparently some sort of Christian rock band was playing a show that night and the local Minister had tried to promote that as an alternative to the 'puerile' Herring show. I can think of few things that I would find less entertaining than a night of Christian rock.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Dundee/article/13639/dundee-minister-dismisses-comedian-richard-herring-s-christ-on-a-bike-show-as-childish-and-juvenile.html

Anyway, the Whitehall Theatre was probably about half full. I think that is good for Dundee. The show focuses on Jesus Christ and Herrings thoughts about him. Herring points out some of the obvious contradictions in the Bible and talks about his own atheism. He also make lots of jokes about wanking and blowjobs.

It's a fairly funny show and I'm glad I went. Most of the time I have absolutely nothing to do in Dundee. I intend to pick up some more Richard Herring stuff in the future and I was impressed with the free Programme he gave out. Herring also collects money for SCOPE and I urge anyone that reads this to consider making a donation.

http://www.richardherring.com/
http://www.scope.org.uk/

No comments: