Thursday, July 14, 2011

Grant Morrison signing and an addendum to the Forbidden Planet Book Group discussion of Final Crisis

Grant Morrison is one of my favourite comic book writers and by happenstance he was signing copies of his new book Supergods at Forbidden Planet on Buchanan Street this evening.  My spare room contains an excessive quantity of books by Morrison so I had to just pick two favourites.  I settled for my hardback copy of Absolute All-Star Superman and my ancient copy of Zenith book one.

The queue at Forbidden Planet was fairly long and I had to wait in line for nearly an hour.  Thankfully it wasn't raining and the combination of my iPod and random encounters with a few people I know helped stave off boredom.

Morrison was by all accounts friendly and chatty with everyone.  After the Book Group on Monday night I asked him if he managed to achieve everything he wanted with Final Crisis.  He said that he had wanted to go further with the ending and make things even more crazy at the end of the book with dialogue breaking down.  He pulled back from this after reading some negative feedback on the internet.  He seems like the sort of bloke that you could talk about his work with for a long time but that isn't really appropriate at a signing.

So I went home happy with my signed books.  I just need to track down Frank Quietly to get my All Star Superman book signed.

No comments: