Saturday, March 09, 2013

Lifestyle of the idle rich

When I was a kid, at around the age of 8 or 9, I thought many things were unobtainable.  The objects of my desire were generally old comic books.  The one that I desired most, that I never thought I would be able to own, was Giant Size X-Men #1.  This will mean nothing to anyone who is not an absolute nerd but Giant Size X-men #1 was the first X-Men comic to feature Wolverine and the modern X-Men characters like Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus.

This X-Men comic was different because the heroes were international (Russian, German, African, Canadian, Japanese), multi-racial (blue???) and generally a bit more interesting than those seen in older superhero comics.  For an 8 year old boy, this comic represented a water-shed.  And it was unobtainable in sunny Glasgow in the mid-1980's, ten years after it was originially published.

In the intervening decades the world has changed and I have changed.  I am now fortunate enough to be a well paid doctor.  The X-Men are now much more famous after several cartoon series and blockbuster movies.  And you can still find copies of Giant Size X-men via the magic of ebay.

Having recently reached a personal goal (submitting my MD thesis) after 4 and a half years of hard work I decided to treat myself.  I don't own a car (or hold a driving licence) and I never even wanted a sports car.  I'm not too bothered about going away on a foreign holiday.  However, I am now able to easily grant my childhood wish and pick up a cheap copy of Giant Size X-Men on ebay.  I am a lucky bloke.  A total nerd, but a lucky bloke.

No comments: