Sunday, December 03, 2017

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - DVD review

I finally managed to catch this film on DVD, having missed it in the cinema.  I've been aware of the Valerian comics for a few years and I've read a few of the recent hardback reissues.  The comics were exceptionally influential and their presence was felt in Star Wars and many other science fiction blockbusters over the past 40 years.  I've loved some Luc Besson stuff over the years, especially The Fifth Element so this film was a bit of a no brainer for me.

Having now watched the film on DVD I do wish that I had seen it in the cinema.  It's visually stunning, as one would expect from Besson.  It has cute aliens, humour and a decent plot as well as some big names.  It hasn't been universally loved by reviewers but I certainly enjoyed it.

Worth a couple of hours of your time.

No comments: