Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Broken flowers - film review

I like Bill Murray. I think a lot of people my age do. I remember standing in line to see Ghostbusters as a kid and thinking that Bill Murray was the coolest man on the face of the earth. I still think he's pretty cool.

Broken flowers is the third recent film where Bill Murray plays a fifty year old man who has reached an empty part of his life. He's pretty good at it. He has a hangdog face that just broadcasts inner misery.

This time he's a don juan character who's recently broken up with his latest younger girlfriend. He then recieves a letter that tells him he has a twenty year old son. Unfortunately he doesn't know who the mother is.

He manages to narrow it down to five and spurred on by his sherlock holmes wannabe neighbour he goes on a quest to find meaning in his life.

I'm not gonna tell you what happens. I guess the film probably evokes life as a 55year old bachelor who sits down and asks himself what he has achieved in life. It made me hope I don't end up like that.

I liked it better than 'lost in translation' but I enjoyed 'the aquatic life...' more. The soundtrack isn't as good as either.

Check it out. I give it 7 out of 10. It's Jim Jarmusch aiming for an oscar.

Funky

No comments: