Monday, October 17, 2005

Rubbish jobs

I'm trying to chill out tonight.

Imagine you had a busy job. Imagine you had to work for 12 days in a row. Imagine that your normal working day was about 8 hours long, but then on Friday, Saturday and Sunday you had to work for about 13 hours.

Now imagine that on friday evening and all day saturday and sunday you have a small device attatched to your belt. This device makes an annoying sound every 15 minutes. When this happens you have to phone someone. This person may be nice to you or they might be nasty to you.

Imagine you get no breaks and you have to eat while you work.

Imagine that you have a lot of responsibility and that people depend on you. You can call for help if you really need to but you don't really need to. You do your best to help people. Some of these people are really sick and some of them could even die. You try and stop that happening. You are responsible for about 180 people.

At the end of that you could be exhausted, physically and emotionally drained. You might even have a night of broken sleep because you are worried about one of the sick people you care for. And you still have another five normal working days before a weekend off.

And then 12 more days in a row....

Does that sound like fun?

Kinda sux, doesn't it.

Anyway, I'm trying to chill out now. I've been listening to Maps and Cold Wind by the arcade fire. Both cool (try and google the titles if you want to hear them). I've just read the third doom patrol book by Grant Morrison. It's bizzare but I like it.

I've also been looking at some cool photos by someone called mushsis which people should look at. I should be studying but I figure I deserve a night off.

Gonna do cool stuff this weekend. Play guitars with friends. See family. Sleep. Read. Visit other friends. Nice stuff.

Later

Funky

3 comments:

mushsis said...

hey wow - thanks for the mention.
glad you liked the pics.

as for the physically/ mentally/ emotionally exhausting job - I know what you mean (been there, done that, got the scrubs).
it will eventually get better, believe me :)
hope you get to do all your cool stuff at the weekend.

mushsis said...

yeah I remember how much it sucked. I decided to no longer be a slave to the bleep, and got the hell out of dodge. ("dodge" here being hospital medicine)

gp is not for everyone, but I never looked back.
and no, I don't wear a cardigan now ;)

drphunk said...

Yeah. Sounds good. I did it as a second degree and being 'academic' I've taken a 'competitive' rotational job at a university hospital. Long term I wanna do one of those nice jobs that is mainly out-patient based and never involves the sentence 'Oh my god, get me an x...'.

Right now it's monkey work. I guess I enjoy it really.