Friday, December 02, 2005

Easy week

I'm having a good week. It's good to be not at work (although still technically at work) and learning stuff. I feel really relaxed cos I don't have to wear a shirt and tie and I don't have any responsibilities. It's a shame life can't be like this all the time.

Most of the lecturers have been pretty good. It was quite nice today because one of the lecturers was a guy that I had worked with a bit a couple of years ago. He was doing well and he has just had a baby girl so he seemed really happy.

I've been lazily doing my christmas shopping over the internet. I've bought most of what I need to get. I can't really be bothered with shops at this time of year. Far too many people and the weather really sucks.

I've been listening to an interesting CD this week. It's called 'Gibby Haynes & his problem'. Gibby Haynes was the singer in drug-rock monsters the Butthole Surfers. The american magazine SPIN named him as one of the 50 greatest rock frontmen of all time. That means fuck all but I'm just trying to make him sound cool. I find it hard to describe the music of the buttholes to anyone who hasn't heard them. Some of their stuff is really warm, smily chillout music and some of it is possibly the scariest most emotionally damaging music ever. I remember first hearing their song 'jimi' on a mix-tape when I was in first year at secondary school (about 12-13) and being too scared to listen to it in the dark!

I'm a wuss.

Anyway, their music is basically psychadelic noise rock. They take the piss a lot ('sweat loaf' for all you black sabbath fans). They were sampled by orbital on 'satan'. I just like them a lot and they haven't put out a record for a few years. I stumbled across this Gibby Haynes album in Avalanche records and I've been enjoying it a fair bit. Upbeat noise rock songs with a poppy edge. Folky drug addled nonsence with distorted vocals. Something that sounds a little like heartbreaker by led zepplin remixed by the aphex twin. I don't have the linguistic ability to really describe it well. Go to http://www.surfdog.com/gibby.html where you will find information and MP3s.

Gibby once made a record with Johnny Depp. Really.

funky

No comments: