Saturday, January 07, 2006

Friday night TV is looking better

I watched a new TV series on channel 4 last night. It's called My name is earl and it stars Jason Lee. I know Jason Lee from his appearances in many Kevin Smith films notably Chasing Amy and Mallrats. He is in other stuff (including a sonic youth video) and he's a funny guy.

The eponymous Earl is american white trash. He lives in a trailer park with his semi-human brother, his trashy wife and his two kids (that ain't his kids). He is a pretty bad human being who has hurt a lot of people over the years. He has an accident and his life gets worse.

Then he discovers the concept of karma whilst high on pharmaceutical morphine watching a late-night TV talk show. He realises that he has to make right his past mistakes and help all the people that he has hurt. He writes a list of all his sins and starts to help people out and his luck improves (it reminds me a bit of quantum leap but not really).

I watched the first episode last night and it was laugh out loud funny. One of my friends in America told me to check it out. I know where I'll be at 10PM next friday. Hope that this does well in america so it keeps being made. Somehow I doubt it. It's too clever.

dr. funk

1 comment:

mushsis said...

I saw this too. bellyachingly good. I hope they keep making it too. in fact, I'm going to america next week, so I'll get 'em telt for you ;)