Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Memoirs of a geisha - film review

As I have more time on my hands during this blissful post-exam week I went to the cinema again tonight to see this big budget chick flick. The audience was probably 80% female. That scared me. I wasn't sure what to expect. Was this going to be bridget goddamn jones in Japan?

Day 65 - kimonos destroyed - 4. Sumo matches attended - 2. I saw darcy-san in the buddakan today. Will I ever learn how to walk in these fucking shoes?

Thankfully not. It was another great film. Sad at times, funny at times. Beautiful women and an amazing amount of bitchiness. I don't know very much about Japanese culture so I don't know how accurate this film was. Not that accurate when all the actresses were Chinese.....

Nitpicking aside, this is a good film. Even if you're male. It's a bit of a cinderella story and my flatmate tells me that it has been 'given a touch of hollywood' in places but it's still bloody good. I could watch it again without falling asleep. It's about as good as 'brokeback mountain' .

I hope Spielbergs munich is this good.

9 outta 10

check it out

daphunk

No comments: