Monday, February 27, 2006

Food review - Monster Mash, Glasgow

I went here tonight after a recommendation from a workmate. Monster Mash is a cafe-type restuarant in the studenty Byres Road/Hillhead area of Glasgow. It has a sort of Beano theme to it. The menu features bangers n mash, macaroni cheese, chocolate ice cream and milk shakes. It's a belle and sebastian fans wet dream.

The decor is modern but cheezy. Old cafe style tables, tomato shaped ketchup bottles and brown sauce. You can buy sherbert dips and expensive bottled beer. Copies of the beano are lying about just in case you want to relive your childhood. It's family friendly too (there was a big family on the opposite table) but thankfully there were no screaming brats.

The food was good. I went for bangers and mash. The sausages were of good quality and were well cooked. They weren't cheap at £7 but I didn't feel ripped off. The mustard flavoured mash was tasty and the onion gravy was class. My pal liked his ice cream.

I'll go back. I'd take a girl there (if she had a sense of humour). Not glitzy but cozy.

dafunk

2 comments:

mushsis said...

bangers and mash mmmmm. oh great, now I'm hungry again ;)

drphunk said...

Yeah, it's good.

Bottom of Byres Road, near Dumbarton Road