Sunday, February 19, 2006

Gone to the dogs....

To celebrate passing my big work exam and also to celebrate a friends birthday I went to the dog racing at Shawfield Stadium in Glasgow tonight. I have been once before (about 7 years ago) and it's always a good night. Last time I made a profit of £100 and tonight I made a profit of £40. I only bet £2.50 on 12 races and I walked away with £70 in my pockets. I have a formula. My friends had varying degrees of luck. The guy whose birthday it was didn't win a single race.

The gambling is not the only attraction of the night. It is an anthropological experience. I get to see a side of life that I don't often see. Arthur Daly is alive and well in the south side of Glasgow. Much 'bling' was on display. Some neds were wearing their best shell suits. I'll go back some time I guess.

Afterwards we went into town to the 13th note. I had to buy a couple of rounds with my winnings. There was a DJ playing some good tunes. The highlight for me was Got the time by Anthrax which was my favourite song when I was 12. The bar staff were a bit arsey when they kicked everyone out at closing time. Angry vegans.

This might have been coloured by the fact that I have been dying of a cold all night. Industrial doses of paracetamol, ibuprofen and sudafed have not really helped. I hope it has gone before I go back to work on Monday.

On the way home our taxi took us through Fernhill. As usual neds could be seen kicking the shit out of each other beside the shops. They should build a police station there. I feel sorry for anyone who has to live there.

Anyway, still buzzing about passing my exam. I've bought myself a wee present to celebrate (something that costs the same as resitting the exam). I might post a picture when it arrives.

phunky

2 comments:

zoe said...

so? what's the present? :)

drphunk said...

It's a piece of original art....

I'll post a picture when it arrives.

N