Thursday, November 16, 2006

Fishbone - live at King Tuts, Glasgow

I nearly didn't go to this show. I didn't have a ticket, it was raining and I was on-call until 9. I'm glad I made the effort. A lot of my friends were there (one from Bristol and another who has just got engaged) and the show was great.

I have a confession to make. I don't really know much Fishbone music. I saw them 13 years ago at the Glasgow Barrowlands with Bad Brains and the Goats but I had to leave early. It was a school night and my mum actually came to pick me up. I was 15 and legally not allowed yo be in the venue. My mum actually knocked on the door to get me and was allowed backstage. I think she actually met the Bad Brains which was cool cos they were one of my favourite bands.

Anyway, I digress. I don't listen to Fishbone much. I have an old LP in a crate somewhere but I haven't listened to it in 13 years. After tonight I'm going to change my ways and raid ebay.

The first band were a funk-rock combo from Bordeaux. The singer bore a striking facial similarity to Sacha Baron Cohen and the band were funny in a Borat sort of way. Lost in translation but entertaining.

Fishbone were a revelation. The musical talent and energy that they displayed was amazing. In a 2 hour set they employed several instruments that I could not name as well as a theramin, Bass, Alto and Tenor saxophones, Trumpets plus the usual array of guitars, etc that you would expect from a modern rock band. Seven large men crowded the tiny stage of King Tuts. It is small. I've played there.

Singer Angelo wore a kilt and a pork-pie hat. He spent half of the set in the crowd. The band seem to be quite into physical comedy with lots of on-stage slapstick moments. Norwood (the bass played) also offered some political opinions before their 'dance with Saddam' song. He pointed out that the Bush family were in the past friendly with both the Bin Laden family and Saddam Hussein. He expressed a desire to attain world peace through partying with Bin Laden instead of shooting people. He said that he wanted to 'party with Bin Laden, fuck his bitches, drink his booze and smoke his weed'. While I realise that these sentiments have a noble pacifist inspiration I feel that they also display a lack of understanding of Islam.

Back to the music. Amazing. Ska funk punk rock. Everyday sunshine. Date rape (a sublime cover). Freddie's dead (Curtis Mayfield). Many more I am unable to name. Brilliant.

If you ever get a chance to see this band, take it.

funk

No comments: