Monday, November 06, 2006

Wolfmother - live in Glasgow

I went to this gig without being too familiar with any of the bands on the bill. The show wss part of the MTV2 spanking new tour. It was very much a package tour show with four bands with very different style.

I didn't see much of the opening band the MacAbees (possibly spelt wrong). I was not upset because they weren't too good. The next band, fields, were a half-hearted tribute to my bloody valentine. They couldn't really pull it off. All noise with no heart. Forward Russia were not much better. Their sound is trapped in the post-punk era and not in a good way. One of my friends told me that their album was not too bad but I don't intend to find out.

Wolfmother saved the night. The Carling Academy is not a great venue. The sound is patchy and it can be difficult to see the band. Wolfmother overcame these obstacles easily. Despite being a three piece they produced a massive sound. The singer sounded as good as the studio recordings and the playing was tight. Their music is rooted in '70s metal like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath but they do it well. I'll be putting the CD onto my i-pod. Catch them if you can. I expect them to become BIG.

funkt

No comments: