Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Twilight Singers - Live at Oran Mor, Glasgow

This wasn't the best gig that I've been to this month but Fishbone and TV on the Radio were both exceptional. I really like the Afghan Whigs (singer Greg Dulli's first band) but I only own two Twilight Singers records. I don't listen to them too much.

Nonetheless I was looking forward to the gig. Dulli has a good voice and a reputation for being a strong live performer. It was also the first time that I had been to a concert in the Oran Mor, a converted church on the corner of Byres Road and Great Western Road. About 10 years ago I lived in a shitty student flat on Great Western Road opposite the building when it was derelict so it is nice to see that it has been done up. It's quite nice inside now.

Support was supplied by a guitarist (?Jeff Klein?) from the Twilight Singers playing some of his solo stuff. It was depressing.

The main set was loud. My ears are still ringing. Dulli was in good voice although he is a bit 'fat elvis' now (sorry). Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees/Queens of the Stoneage/Kurt Cobains friend) was on hand to sing five songs including a version of Where did you sleep last night? by Leadbelly. We were also treated to a TV on the radio song in the encore which was entertaining.

The crowd was composed of ageing musos on the wrong side of 30 who were into the Afghan Whigs the first time around. I would like to take this opportunity to say 'hi' to the wanker with the blonde hair and black jacket who said 'fuck off' as my friend and I walked in front of him before the show started. You, sir, are a cock (I doubt he'll read this, I doubt he can read). I was glad to see that a group of people much taller than me soon stood in front of him.

So, it was an OK show. I'm glad I went but it could have been better. I wish I'd seen the Afghan Whigs.....

funky

No comments: