Thursday, November 02, 2006

Still on holiday

I’m still on holiday. This will be the second delayed post of the week. I’ve done very little. Went for a walk yesterday and took some photos. I’ve read a few books; Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett, Fragile things by Neil Gaiman. I’ve started to read The naming of the dead the most recent Rebus book by Ian Rankin.

I’ve read a few comics too. I’ve just finished reading the collected edition of The Goon by Eric Powell. It’s been sitting in my ‘to read’ pile for at least a year and I’m glad that I’ve finally got round to it. It’s a great story mixing gangsters, zombies, circus freaks and vengeful cowboys. The art is nice too.

I’ve also being reading some older comics that I bought from ebay. I’ve just read a trade paperback collection of John Byrnes run on She-hulk. I realise that I probably sound like I’m talking in double-dutch to anyone who has a sense of cool but it was a good read; really cheesy, funny and surreal. It reminds me of some of the Howard the Duck comics I’ve read (you can get them in a big black and white collection pretty cheap). Byrne even manages to make a 7 foot tall green woman appear sexy. Having said that a girl I know once told me that she thought the hulk was a turn on. I also read another Byrne book from the mists of time called the Next Men. It was ok.

I’ve watched some DVDs too. I just watched the first season of Dead like me which is an American series about a girl who is killed by a flying toilet seat before becoming a grim reaper employed by some hidden higher power to help the souls of the dead to the next plane of existence. It’s good. I will try and get my hands on series 2.

I wish I could say that I was doing something more profound. Sadly I’m just chilling out. I wish I had more time off. I have many more books that I want to read but I guess a week is a short time. I’ll have to go back to work on Monday. The price of being a wage slave is high. It must be nice to independently wealthy and not have to work. I could handle being bored. If I had time to play with I probably wouldn’t do much. Work forces me into some sort of activity which is good. Maybe I’ll be able to get a job that I really like eventually. Stranger things have happened.

I’m not missing the mobile phone or the internet. I’ll have access again soon enough. The world can wait.

No comments: