Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years on from 9/11

It's difficult to believe that 10 years have passed from the terrorsit attacks of the 11th of September 2011.  The attacks took place 2 days after my 24th birthday.  I'd been in medical school that morning having travelled south from Glasgow the day before.  I had returned to my communal student house early that day because I was tired from travelling.  I hadn't been watching the TV that afternoon.

I heard the news when my flatmate returned to the flat and told me that terrorists had crashed planes into the World Trade Centre in New York.  I found it difficult to believe.  I think I listened to Radio 4 for a bit to confirm the news.  I made a decision to try and avoid watching the television so I didn't see the horrible scenes in New York.  I pretty much managed to do that.

I guess that the events of September the 11th changed the world.  Wars started and a lot of people lost their lives.  Further terrorist attacks hit Madrid and London over the next few years.  Despite all of this my life went on in a fairly unchanged manner.

The media is full of images of 9/11 at the moment.  It's really sad.  I wish people were less crazy.  There is no way to stop stuff like that happening. 

My thoughts are with all the victims of 9/11, their families, and everyone who has subsequently died in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

No comments: