Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Omega Man - DVD review

I read the novel 'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson when I was a young teenager about 20 years ago.  I liked the book but I don't really remember it too well.  I saw the 2007 Will Smith film but I don't actually remember it too well now. 

I am Legend tells the story of the last man on Earth, a man who is immune to strange disease that has turned the population into vampires.  He tries to develop a cure for the disease to allow the human race to continue.

The Omega Man was the second version of 'I am legend' to make the big screen in 1971.  It has a real '60s vibe to it with clothes, haircuts and attitudes from that time.  The 'infected' have a Charles Manson vibe and are referred to as 'the Family'.  Charlton Heston manages to get a shag despite being the last man on Earth.

The Omega Man is entertaining but dated.   It was good to see it after many years.  Modern audiences probably prefer the Will Smith version.  There is also another  version called I am Omega that I intend to avoid as it sounds a bit dodgy.

No comments: