Saturday, September 17, 2011

Crass - There is no authority but yourself

I started to listen to Crass when I was about 12.  I was given a mix tape of hardcore punk stuff by a guy a couple of years above me at school.  The tape had the track 'Big A, Little A' on it.  That song is one of my favourite songs ever to this day.

Crass were long gone by then (1989).  Their records were still available in the second-hand sections of Glasgow record shops so I quickly picked up The feeding of the 5000, Best Before and Stations of the Crass.  The music had energy although it was obvious that on some records they couldn't really play their instruments.  Of more interest were the lyrics which really seemed to speak to me.  They told me that everyone was equal.  They told me that the government was bad sometimes.  Now, 22 years later I know that some of those ideas don't really fit with my day to day life as a doctor but I guess the basic principle of trying to be good still lingers on.

I found a link to a good documentary about Crass in Facebook.  It's a well made film and you can watch it on youtube.

http://youtu.be/5LQ1CvwF7BQ

This film tells a slightly different story to the normal rock documentaries that I watch.  Very much worth watching.

I picked up the remastered Penis Envy  CD last week as well,  It sounded good.

No comments: