Friday, September 16, 2011

Super - DVD review

I thought this film would be a bit dodgy.  I'm not sure what made me feel like that.  I guess I hadn't looked at it too carefully.  Even though I was worried about quality I was still keen to see Super mainly because I'm a comic book nerd.

It's actually a bit better than I thought it would be.  The cast is top notch and it's a real indie film.  Frank, the central character who becomes the Crimson Bolt, is a bit of a pathetic figure but you do feel sorry for him.  He loses his wife (Liv Tyler) to a local drug dealer (Kevin Bacon) and he is inspired by God to become a super hero and fight crime.  He does this by hitting people with a wrench.

He then obtains a sidekick (Ellen Paige) from behind the counter at his local comic shop.  His sidekick seems to take an unpleasant amount of joy from random violence.

Bits of this film are funny, bits are sad and bits are violent.  It's intelligent at times.  It is similar to Defendor  but it's not a clone.  One to see if you are a superhero nerd.

No comments: