Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Bonnie prince billy - live in Glasgow

Tonights excursion was to the ABC on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow to see Bonnie prince billy supported by highland folk band Harum Scarum. Before the gig I met my mate in King Tuts for some decent food served by attractive barmaids.

I was not really taken by the first set by Harum Scarum. I could not pretend to be a folk music fan. I have danced to traditional Scottish music in the past and enjoyed it. I have worn a kilt and felt comfortable but I wouldn't really listen to traditional folk music for pleasure. Harum Scarum passed me by.

Bonny prince billy is a zelig type character. Will Oldham (a.k.a billy) was an actor and has operated under many musical identities. He has worked with many different groups over the years to produce some very different sounding albums. His recent tortoise collaberation was an example of this. You never know what to expect from Oldham. Like Bob Dylan he seems to delight in reconstructing his songs on a regular basis. This approach is admirable but it can be annoying.

Initially we had solo Billy tonight. He played several songs including 'ease on down the road' accompanying himself on guitar. Harum Scarum joined him for the rest of the set. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn't. Oldham looked like he was having fun and some good songs were played. I felt that the power of some songs such as 'I see a darkness' was diluted by the arrangement but it was still good. I was happy to see Bonnie Prince Billy playing his songs in the flesh.

Oldham is an interesting looking guy. He has gaunt features and one hell of a beard. He looks a bit scary. A bit like a potential axe murderer. A bit back-woods. Like his songs. Is this him in character? Is Bonnie Prince Billy pure theatre?

Sitting in the bar my friend and I talked about the 'typical' Will Oldham fan. What would they look like? Who is a 'typical' Will Oldham fan? It was an older, studenty crowd. Intellectual. Intresting hair cuts, facial hair and glasses. Clothing was anti-fashion in a studied manner. I wonder how these people first started to listen to his music. His music is powerful and affecting. I love it myself but I just don't know how he finds a market. I would like to know.

Anyway, the show was ok but it could have been better. My friend said that the last show he caught (5 years back) was better. I'll go and see him again if I get a chance but I hope he has a different backing band.

funky

No comments: