Sunday, April 30, 2006

Night watch (nochnoi dozor) - DVD review

I'd read a bit about Night Watch (nocnoi dozor) when it was in the cinema a few months ago. I'd been quite keen to see it then but I didn't have the opportunity. Night Watch is the first part of a trilogy of Russian fantasy/action films that have been very successful. The films are based on a series of Russian science fiction books by the author Sergei Lukyanenko.

The film is set in modern Russia and revolves around a supernatural police force 'the night watch' who regulate the vampires and other citizens of the dark. For centuries an uneasy truce has existed between the forces of light and dark. The world is full of 'others', human beings born with superhuman powers who choose to be 'light' or dark'.

Anton is the main protaganist in the film. The first scenes show us how he discovered that he was an other and tell us a bit about the mistakes that he has made in the past. Then we see him as he tries to save a young boy from a vampire. During this mission he discovers that the world faces apocalypse.

I believe that this film has been very successful in Russia. It mixes matrix style special effects with a ghostbusters feel. The story is fast moving, includes some original ideas and some good plot twists. It feels fresh. If it wasn't in Russian it would probably be more successful although if this was an american film I think it would be shite (like underworld). I'm sure we have an american remake to look forward to.

I liked this film. I want to see the sequels. I recommend it to anyone who is willing to watch a film with subtitles and likes action movies.

Phunky

No comments: