Thursday, May 24, 2007

Battles - live at the Glasgow ABC 2

This show was a bit like watching a surgical procedure or some sort of gymnastic display. Battles get a lot of criticism for being cold and clinical. I guess that is partially because of their pedegree (drummer from Helmet, math-rock label) and partially because the music they make is different.

Their sound is hard to describe. It reminds me of LFO, Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin but with guitars. I don't know that much electronic music so my range of references isn't that great. Musically, they are tight. They stretch their instruments to the limit and they all seem to be playing at least two things at once.

ABC 2 was packed out and hot. The whole crowd was soaked in sweat and the place smelled like a sauna. It was a good show.

A bizzare thing. After the show some guy came up to me and chatted to me for a couple of minutes. He knew my name and he chatted away but I just didn't recognise him at all. I really am an ignorant fucker. I can't remember most people I met between 1992 and 1999. Not good.

No comments: