Monday, May 14, 2007

Fantasy alternative careers

I've just been chatting to one of my best mates about the jobs we could do if we were not able to continue in our current career. The job market in my chosen profession is a bit of a bastard at the moment. If the worst came to the worst I might have to seek work in a different field.

I've had lots of jobs over the years, many of which have been shit. The worst job I ever had was working in a record shop over christmas. It just really pissed me off. I've had other jobs that have been much better than that. I liked stacking shelves, I liked being an auxillary nurse, I liked working on a switchboard. I like being a doctor.

But if I had to pick another job, what would it be?

Obviously I would love to be a writer but you can't just show up at the job centre and say 'give me a job as a writer, please'. It doesn't happen. Also, being a writer for pay sounds like hard work. I think you really have to sell yourself and hustle to get paid. I'm not sure that I have the drive to do that. I prefer an easy life.

I decided that I would like to work in a book shop. Good hours, not much pressure, pleasant working environment, customers can read. It's all good. It would be like a holiday. I would get paid. If the worst came to the worst, I could do it.

I could work in a supermarket again if I had to. You do what you need to do to survive. That's life.

Just don't send me back to Our Price

No comments: