Monday, March 22, 2010

Frankie Boyle, live at the King's Theatre, Glasgow.

Last week was a good week for live comedy. After seeing Stewart Lee on Monday I went to see Frankie Boyle at a sold-out show on Tuesday. I was in the vertigo-inducing cheap seats of the gallery but I did have a good view.

I do like Boyle but he is a shock-comedian. He has some funny material but he relies on saying outrageous on controversial things. There were a lot of jokes about Madeline McCann which just felt a wee bit unnecessary. If I was a member of the McCann family I would have been tempted to give him a quick slap. I also found a few of the rape related jokes slightly unpleasant.

For most of the show I was laughing, as were the majority of the crowd. I wasn't sure afterwards that I would pay to see him again but it was funny (apart from the slightly cringe-worthy stuff that I mentioned earlier). This show was the first of a 100 date tour and hopefully Boyle will mellow-out a bit as time progresses.

When I compare Stewart Lee and Frankie Boyle I have to say that objectively Lee is both more intelligent and funnier. I know that 'funny' is an abstract concept but at least Lee is not a bully and Lee often avoids the easy laughs. Incidently, Boyle has a weird laugh that is often edited out of his TV material. Strange.

Glad I saw the show. Probably won't pay for it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.