Saturday, March 20, 2010

Stewart Lee - live at the Citizen's Theatre, Glasgow

I have vague memories of Stewart Lee as part of the 'Lee and Herring' comedy partenrship in the early '80s but I was never a massive fan. I only really started to appreciate Stewart Lee after seeing his BBC2 Comedy Vehicle series last year. He's now one of my favourite comedians.

Lee has an intelligent style and he doesn't talk down to his audience. He uses big words and deals with difficult concepts and he expects his fans to be able to think. When tickets for this Citizen's theatre show originally went on sale I was slow off the mark and I missed out on tickets. An extra show at 5:30pm was announced but I couldn't find anyone able to get off work in enough time to make that show. I was very lucky on Monday afternoon when I checked my email and discovered that extra tickets had been released for the 'house seats' at the 8PM show.

This was his 'If you would like a milder comedian please ask for one' show that he has been touring for the past few months. The show was being filmed for a future DVD release as Lee likes Glasgow crowds. Several of his previous DVDs have been filmed in Glasgow.

When I arrived at the venue Lee was signing merchandise beside the front door so I was able to get a signed copy of one of his older DVDs which made my night.

The show itself was good. He put the boot into Frankie Boyle (who I saw the next night) and Richard Hammond. He did a bit about Napalm Death. I guess you should be able to see it on DVD in due course. I'm glad I was there. I hope to see him again.

www.stewartlee.co.uk

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have sharper memories of Stewart Lee as part of the 'Lee and Herring' comedy partenrship in throughout much of the '90s

drphunk said...

I should probably check out some of the 'Lee and Herring' stuff. I just never really got into it at the time. If it's as good as his current stuff it's probably worth investigating.