Sunday, March 07, 2010

Music I'm listening to just now

Here are some recent choices

1 - Mr. Bungle - California. I always thought Mr. Bungle were a bit of a joke when I was younger. Faith No More were OK and Mike Patton was a good singer but I never thought they were amazing. Many other people did. I recently stumbled accross the California album from 1999 and I was well impressed. The first song 'sweet charity' is amazing and well worth a listen.

2 - Built to spill. I picked up Perfect from now on a few years back but never really gave it a chance. The magic of spotify let me listen to some built to spill stuff in work over the past few weeks. You in reverse is a great album. The guiter parts are pretty cool, a bit Neil Young and the vocals remind me of the flaming lips. They're playing in Glasgow in May so I'll check them out.

3 - Refused - The shape of punk to come - This is an energetic and angry hardcore album. It's an evolution of the Fugazi sound but not as annoying as a lot of the emo/hardcore bands out there. It's fairly expansive which is unusual for a punk record. Worth a listen.

4 - Sonic youth - Not really a surprise but there is some good stuff out there. I like the recent acoustic version of Starpower and the Bob Dylan cover 'I'm not there'.

5 - Death cab for cutie - I've been listening to the Postal Service for a few years but I never really gave Death Cab a chance. I have now and my life is better for it.

6 - Moss Icon - Moss Icon are a legendary obscure punk band that I always wanted to hear. I managed to find their CD and I'm impressed. Not as good as Refused but worth a listen

No comments: