Monday, March 08, 2010

The Men Who Stare at Goats by Jon Ronson

There has been a lot of attention focused on this book after the recent film starring Ewan McGregor and George Clooney. Having now read the book I think it's probably unfilmable so I'll be interested in seeing the film.

The book is about the American army and its attempt to harness psychic powers. It's crazy stuff and even a fraction of the material in this book is true the US army is populated by credulous idiots. There is discussion of ninja death touches, remote viewing and subliminal sounds, It's like an X-men comic mixed with James Bond. Seriously mental.

The book takes on a sinister feel in the later chapters with details of torture and atrocities in Iraq and possible LSD related murders as part of the CIA MK-ULTRA programme in the '50s. The dark side of the American dream is more like Watchmen than Superman.

If any of this shit is true the American army is stupid as well as crazy. Apparently a lot of Americans believe in creationism too. Mad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi how are you?

I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not leave you a comment.

I have a blog also obviously, and would like to invite you to become my blog friend.

Maybe you can follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

Well, I hope to hear from you soon... :)