Sunday, January 30, 2011

Mogwai at the Grand Ole Opry, Glasgow

This was my second Mogwai gig in six months. I've been listening to my promo copy of the new album quite a bit. I think it may well be their best album.

I like the Grand Ole Opry as a venue. It's a bit different with the country and western decorations. The balcony gives great views of the main stage. I've seen Teenage Fanclub and Franz Ferdinand play there before. As an added bonus it's only a mile from my flat.

Support came from Remember Remember who were really good. Some of them were scarily young. Apart from the guitarist and drummer who looked like they may have abducted the rest of the band.

The Mogwai set was filled with new material which is a good thing. The sound in the Opry was slightly ropey and the band had to adjust levels a bit during the show but they were tight. They had a bit of trouble getting the right vocoder sound for Stuart to sing 'George Square Thatcher Death Party' but the song sounds great live. 'Thatcher Death Party' is a highlight of the new album and would be a great single release. And it sounds like a great idea for a party....

So see them live if you can and buy the new album. And I think they are playing a bigger Glasgow gig in December.

No comments: