Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sleeping Dogs - DVD review

Sleeping Dogs is a pretty good film. It is called Sleeping Dogs Lie in America and it was originally called Stay. I think a lot of people would like this film if they saw it but I think that many people just wouldn't watch it in the first place for reasons that I will expand below.

First off I'll tell you about how I came accross this hidden gem. I had recently watched World's greatest dad as I wrote about previously at http://drphunk.blogspot.com/2010/12/worlds-greatest-dad-dvd-review.html . Bobcat Goldthwait, who I remeber as the guy who had the strange voice in the Police Academy films, directed both films. I enjoyed the black comedy of World's greatest dad so much that I had to track down his other films.

Now, here's the tricky premise of Sleeping dogs. I'm not spoiling anything by revealing this because it all happens in the first 30 seconds of the film. Amy, the central character of the film, did something a bit weird with her pet dog when she was at college. Something sexual. This is all handled tastefully (if such a thing is possible). Years afterwards she tells her fiance about it and her life goes a bit wrong.

Worth seeing if you are not easily offended.

No comments: