Sunday, December 16, 2007

Medicine Balls: Consultations with the world's greatest TV doctor by Phil Hammond

As a doctor I like books about doctors. I like some TV programmes about doctors (like Cardiac Arrest and House) and I hate others. I like Phil Hammond although I realise that some people might not.

Hammond has been a medical correspondant for Private Eye for many years and was involved in exposing the Bristol heart surgery problem several years ago. He has honestly exposed medical culture to the world. He has appeared on TV several times and he also does occasional stand-up comedy shows. I saw him at Warwick University about 6 years ago and I enjoyed the show. I have read some of his last book Trust me I'm a Doctor.

I was a bit disappointed with this new book. It consists of transcripts of his 89 minutes to save the NHS and an earlier stand up show. The transcripts are funny and interesting but the book is padded out with some less amusing stuff ('comic' skits about consultations). Hammonds negative view of modern medicine and the NHS is resonant with most junior doctors that I know but I hope his next book is better. From what I remember Trust me I'm a doctor was better.

No comments: