Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Night Watch books by Sergei Lukyanenko

I'm guilty of buying books and not reading them. I love books as objects. I love the way they look and the way they feel. I really love reading them but sadly work conspires to stop me from reading as much as I would like. Sometimes you just have to make the time to sit down and read. Over the last week I managed Night Watch, Day Watch and Twilight Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko and I'm glad that I did.

Elsewhere in this blog I have written about the film versions of Night Watch and Day Watch which I enjoyed. They are strange Russian language fantasy horror films about the supernatural in modern Moscow. The films are good (if a little weird) and they led me to the books. The books that I bought and put in a pile beside my bed several months ago.

I sat down and started reading the books two weeks ago and they captured my brain. The blurb on the cover describes them as 'the Russian Harry Potter' but they are better than that. These books are for adults. I don't think you could describe them as serious literature but they do deal with moral relativity and the difference between good and evil. And vampires. And werewolves. And ancient great magicians.

The series deals with Anton, a young Other (supernatural being) and his 'hero's journey' as he develops from an inexperienced Night Watchman (a supernatural policeman who upholds the law and controls evil vampires) to a Great Magician who can do lots of cool shit.

Lukyanenko is writing another book due out next year and I am waiting for it with baited breath. You may enjoy these books.

No comments: