Saturday, April 02, 2011

Kobe Steak - Is it worth it?

I've been a doctor for nearly 7 years and for most of that time I've not had much money. I finished medical school with £40,000 of debts that I am still paying off. To compound my financial woes I spent 2 and a half years doing clinical research on a basic wage while paying a very expensive mortgage. I was living on about £200 a month for a long time.


I started a new job in February and I now earn a lot more money. I've bought some new clothes and I have been treating myself to lots of other stuff. I like meat and I wanted to try a Kobe steak.


The Kobe steak that I went for is not a real Kobe steak. It is Wagyū beef which is essentially the same thing but doesn't need to be reared in Japan. The animals that this meat comes from are allegedly massaged and fed beer. So the steak I had (at the Grill on the Corner in Glasgow) was very nice. It had a melt in the mouth quality and it was a good size. It was well cooked although I wasn't too inspired by the chips that came with it. I feel that I got my £55 worth but I am sure that I had equally nice bit of meat in the past.


A good experience but probably not one I will repeat regularly.

No comments: