Saturday, June 25, 2011

Game of Thrones by George RR Martin

I borrowed this book from my Dad.  He has been reading the series fairly quickly.  I have also heard many positive things about the TV series.  I've enjoyed reading the book myself.

Game of Thrones is the first volume in an epic fantasy series by George RR Martin.  It's a bit like Lord of the Rings but with sex and more violence.  The book is fairly hefty but I managed to read it in 4 days.  I'm looking forward to starting the next volume.

The book focuses on the Stark family, a clan of noblemen from the north.  The head of the family was a close friend of the king of the country and at the start of the book he is asked to become the 'hand of the king'.   The plot develops from there.  It's a twisty plot.

It's a bit of a bubblegum read but distracting enough.  Good for an on-call room or a beach.

No comments: