Saturday, June 18, 2011

In the red by Mark Tavener

In the red is a comic novel set in Thatcherite London of the mid '80s. A string of bank managers are murdered by a serial killer and a BBC journalist tries to solve the case. The journalists are all hard drinking mavericks in the finest film noir tradition while the management of the BBC are all incompetent. Politicians are all perverts with an interest in being spanked. All very believable really.

Indirectly this book inspired the Stephen Fry TV series Absolute Power. I believe In the red was filmed by the BBC about 15 years ago but sadly I have not seen it. From what I have read of the TV series I hope it gets a DVD release at some point. The cast is very good. The book is entertaining if not intellectually challenging. I got through the paperback in one day.

I'm not sure if this book is in print at the moment. I found a cheap second-hand copy on amazon. Worth a couple of hours of your time.

No comments: