Saturday, November 05, 2005

The Brothers Grimm - film review

Went to see this film yesterday evening after coming off my night shift. I was only vaguely aware of its existence and I only went to see it cos my flastmate was keen on it. She's German so it is kinda connected to home for her. I was pleasantly surprised.

The story is about the Grimm brothers, a pair of travelling con-men who pose as ghostbusters in early 19th century Germany. The land is under French occupation and the authorities force the brothers to investigate some real, fairy-tale spooky happenings in an isolated town.

The cast includes Matt Damon, Heath Ledger, Monica Bellucci and MacKenzie Crook (gareth in the office, ghost pirate in pirates of the carribean). I thought the female lead was Keira Knightly but I was wrong cos I am stupid. It's Lena Headley and she's just as good, if not better.

It's a Terry Gilliam film so the sets are ornately designed. The film is very gothic looking and moody with some cool effects. It was pretty funny and I felt that it was a more human film than a lot of his stuff. It was more satisfying than Brazil or Time Bandits. Much better than his version of 'Fear and loathing in Las Vegas' (a favourite book of mine) which was kinda good but kinda sucked ass.

I've done a quick internet search and it looks like this film has been universally panned. My flatmate thought it was average but I did like it. I enjoyed it more than Broken Flowers. I'll give it 8 out of 10 and tell you to give it a shot. I'll watch it again.

Phunky

Based on this it's a shame he didn't finish his Don Quixote film. It might have been cool

4 comments:

mushsis said...

there are so many films out just now that I'm aching to see - Brothers Grimm is one, Broken Flowers another. Now I'm torn as to which to see first.
Brothers Grimm sounds good from your review, so perhaps I should see that - but then I really liked Fear and Loathing...
Hmmm.

drphunk said...

Fear and loathing wasn't terrible. It just wasn't as good as the book but it's always hard to fully enjoy a film version of a book that you love. No-one else can replicate the pictures that are in my head when I read.

But yeah, check out Brothers grimm. You might like it.

mushsis said...

oh no! I just heard mark kermode's review of this film (I'm addicted to his podcasts) - he said it sucked, and he's a self-confessed gilliam fan!

I don't always agree with kermode, but I've found he's often spot-on with his critique. hmmm. I'll maybe see it sometime and let you know...

drphunk said...

I'm definitely not a professional critic and I just call 'em as I see them. I must admit that my opinions are filtered by a certain amount of geekishness and a childlike love of comedy monsters.

If you do see it I would like to know what you think