Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Political cartoonists in the USA

I'm quite interested in comic strips and graphic arts. Most comic strips are rubbish but sometimes they have a point and sometimes they are worthwhile.

Political comic strips have a long history dating back to Punch magazine 200 years ago. More recently there have been a few interesting cartoonists in the right-wing mess that is the America of George Bush.

Ted Rall is one cartoonist that I quite like. I read a big article about him a few years ago and I meant to check out some of his stuff. As I'm on holiday this week I had time to play with the internet and I found a site where you can flip through a selection of his political cartoons.

You can find my favourite at http://www.ucomics.com/rallcom/2005/10/27/

Another strip cartoonist that I really like is Aaron McGruder with his Boondocks series. The series revolves around two young black kids who move from an American inner-city to live with their grandad in the suburbs. One of them wants to be Chuck D and the other wants to be Snoop Dogg. My favourite strip has one of the boys calling the CIA to name Ronald Regan as a supporter of Bin Laden during the '80s. Class.

A good example of the strip can be seen at http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/2005/11/09/ where the boys tackle bird flu.

The Boondocks book 'A right to be hostile' would make a great christmas present for any wannabe radical.

Phunky

PS. From The Onion - still funny http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42365

No comments: