Saturday, November 26, 2005

Teenage Fanclub - live in Glasgow

For the past 16 years Teenage Fanclub have always been there. People often take them for granted. They are never the focus of your attention, just a lingering warm feeling at the back of your mind. But they have a secret.

Teenage Fanclub are very good.

I previously saw the Fannies in Glasgows Grand Ole Opry around about 1998. I had heard lots of their stuff at that time but I wasn't a massive fan. I had a good night of bouncing about and smiling. It was fun.

In the intervening time I have lived in England for five years. I would listen to the Fannies because they reminded me of Glasgow and Scotland. Mellow Doubt is one of my favourite songs ever. They are a great band.

So now that I'm back in Scotland I took the opportunity to see them again. I bought a couple of tickets and forced a mate to go and see the with me. He had heard their greatest hits CD and was not impressed. 'They're pish. All their songs sound the same.'

After this gig he was a convert.

Before the band came on I kept meeting people that I know. I ran into a few friends that I hadn't seen for several years. Mobile numbers were exchanged. I also took the opportunity to purchase a classic design t-shirt.

The band opened with 'hang-on' and continued with a mix of classics and new songs. Most of the new songs were pretty good with the minor exception of one that sounded a bit like Chris Rea. The sound was great. Mellow Doubt, The Concept, Sparkys Dream and Everything Flows. I don't want control of you. Tasteful noisy guitars. Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr meeting Big Star and The Byrds.

On the way out you were almost tripping over the Glasgow indie-rock mafia. My mate couldn't stop smiling and told me that the Fannies were indeed very, very good. Then he got a parking ticket.

That's life

Funky

3 comments:

mushsis said...

for me, teenage fanclub epitomise glasgow in the nineties. this may have something to do with the fact that I listened endlessly to their albums whilst I was at uni during this time.

I totally agree with you about mellow doubt. what a superb track. god I miss glasgow. (thank you for allowing me to vicariously enjoy it through your blog.)

there was one night in 1996 when my boyfriend-at-the-time and I, were invited to a dinner party at his uncle's house. I turned into a wobbling girly mess as we walked through the door and saw norman blake! (I'm just glad I'd changed out of my beloved fannies t-shirt for the occasion!)

drphunk said...

I did my first degree at Glasgow, I was born just next to yorkhill and I spent the majority of the first 23 years of my life within 20 miles of the city centre. I then spent five years in England and I only came back cos I accidently got a good job.

I love the city (I did hate it for a bit but absence made the heart grow fonder) It makes me feel really alive.

I love the fact that I can go to a record shop owned by Stephen Pastel. I love the fact that you can just go and chat to the bloke out of arab strap and he is actually friendly. I like the fact that people I've been in bands with have ended up in really successful bands and that I have a friend who is closely related to a member of the Fannies.

It's all very incestuous but so what?

Work side is good from a professional point of view but I'm glad family and friends are easily available. Makes life so much better.

I'm just glad to be back! Probably not for ever but for as long as possible.

mushsis said...

what was your first degree? tell me, I'm curious.
(I probably would have emailed you this question but you don't display your address)